Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer School for Kindergarten Readiness?


Summer School for Kindergarten Readiness! That is the letter we got in the mail today. Our School District feels that after my son's evaluation for Kindergarten, he needs to go to Summer School for 5 weeks. I am so upset about this! I am upset at myself because I feel like I failed him, mad at his Preschool because we put him in a special class this year just for Kindergarten Readiness, mad at my son for not taking his work serious (but he is 5 and just wants to have fun), mad at his Preschool Teacher for not telling us he needs more help, and mad at the School District for just sending this general letter which doesn't let us know were he needs the help! That's about it right now. lol

I feel so bad that he might not be going to Summer Camp with his friends. The Camp we were sending him to is in his new Elementary School so he would be able to get used to the school and meet new classmates. Now he may sit in Summer School for 3 hours a day, 4 days a week at 5 years old. I know how important letters, numbers, and cutting is but I also feel that social skills and making friends are just as important.

We are meeting with his Preschool Teacher tomorrow to see how she feels but I am really leaning towards Camp instead of School. I also am going to call the School District to see where he failed and work more with him at home.

He just turned 5! He has his whole life to study and have homework. I just want him to enjoy his childhood but also not fall behind and to thrive in Kindergarten. Parenting is so involved and complicated! I don't want to screw him up for the rest of his life with one bad move.

I will update tomorrow after we speak to the Teacher and School District. Thanks for listening:)

2 comments:

Denise said...

Wow sorry to hear that! My son is in pre-k as well & entering Kindergarten. I didn't even know they had summer school for their age. I hope you received good news.

Tania K said...

Looved reading this thank you

Post a Comment